Ernakulum refers to the downtown area or the western part of the mainland of Kochi city in Kerala, India. The city is the most urban part of Kochi and has lent its name to the Ernakulum district. Ernakulum is called the commercial capital of the state of Kerala and is a main nerve of business in Kerala. The Kerala High Court, the Office of the Corporation of Cochin and the Cochin Stock Exchange are situated here.
Bolgatty Palace : a Scenic island near the city of Ernakulum, Bolgatty is famous for the Bolgatty Palace built by the Dutch in 1744 AD
Dutch Palace : Built in oriental style, Mattancherry Palace, situated in Ernakulum district of Kerala was originally built by the Portuguese and presented to the king of Cochin, Veera Kerala Varma, in the year 1555 AD. It was later taken over by the Dutch who improved it through extensions and repairs in 1663 AD.
Jewish Synagogue: The oldest synagogue in India, it was built in 1586 AD by the prosperous Jewish community whose links with Kerala began in Kodungallur in northern Kerala.
The Cheeyappara and Valara waterfalls are located between Neriamangalam and Adimali on the Kochi - Madurai highway. The Cheeyappara Falls cascades down in seven steps.
Santa Cruz Basilica Chruch: Close to the St. Francis church, it is Roman Catholic Church, which was also built by Portuguese. It has a beautiful collection of paintings and a decorative ceiling, despite having suffered severe damage when the British fought with the Dutch to take control of Kochi.
St. Francis Church: Built in 1503 by Portuguese Franciscan Friars, this is the India's oldest European church.
Chinese Fishing Nets : The elegant Chinese fishing nets that line the northern shore of Fort Kochi add charm to exotic waterside view and are probably the single most familiar photographic image of Kerala. Known in Malayalam as ‘Cheenavala’, the Chinese Fishing nets found in the region are the only one of its kind in the country
Mattancherry Palace stands on the left side of the road near to the Mattanchery Jetty, on the opposite direction of Jew Town. It is situated on the Bolghatty Island, 10 km from Ernalulam City, Kochi. Known locally known as the 'Dutch Palace' Mattanchery Palace it was built in 1555, and till than it has remained as the important trading center. The Palace is one of the oldest buildings of the Portuguese, which is now being used as a luxurious hotel. It houses the long spacious halls with the central courtyard enshrining Palayannur Bhagavati – the Royal Deity. Apart from that there are two temples on the either side of the Palace dedicated to Lord Krishna and Lord Shiva respectively.
Wellington Island: is the manmade island created from earth dredged, while deepening the Fort Kochi. The architect of this island was designed by Lord Bristow. There are ferry and regular bus services from Ernakulam to this island.
Mangalavanam is a popular bird sanctuary located in Ernakulum district of Kerala. It is the nestling ground of large variety of migratory birds and support many varieties of Mangroves.
Cherai Beach: it is located in Vypin Island accessible by ferry or by road from mainland, Kochi. This calm beach is ideal for swimming. It has sea on the western side and backwater on east, which gives this tourist destination, a unique surrounding. Thick coconut grooves and Chinese fishing nets on the waterfront give it an added attraction. Dolphins can also be seen here occasionally.
Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary: This sanctuary is 12 km from Kothamangalam, which is on the Kochi-Munnar route.
Kodanadu is a forest elephant care centre. Here you can see baby elephants rescued from the forests being cared for. Elephants are also trained here.
Fort Kochi beach is a place ideal for an evening stroll, Bathing and swimming are not recommended here, and the colorful carnival at New Years Eve is a feature of this beach.
Malayattor Kurishumudi (It is believed where St.Thomas visited during his apostolic journey)
Bhoothathan kett, Kadamattom Church (connected with Kadamattathu kathanar)
Uliyannur (Near Aluva , place connected with Uliyannur Perumthachan)
Kallil Temple, Kakkoor Kalavayal (Famous Agrarian Festival)
Changampuzha Nagar Edappally
Pazhoor Padippura (Near Piravom)
Koonan Cross (Mattancherry)
Kochi Bishops House (Built in 1566 as the residence of the Portuguese Governor)
Fort Immanuel (built in 1503. Remains of the structure can be seen).
Bastian Bungalow (Built in 1667)
David Hall (Built in 1695 connected with Van Reed)
Parade Ground, Dutch cemetery, St.Mary's Basilica
Sahodaran Ayyappan Smarakam at Cherai
Children’s traffic Park at Ernakulum
St. Francis Assisi Cathedral, Ernakulum is other Tourist attractions of the District.
Thrissur, previously known as Trichur, is the 4th most populous city (315,090) and the 3rd most populated urban agglomeration in the Indian state of Kerala. It is also the headquarters of the Thrissur District. Thrissur city is built around a 65-acre (26 ha) hillock called the Thekkinkadu Maidan which seats the Vadakkumnathan temple. Thrissur was once the capital of Kingdom of Cochin. Thrissur is also known as the Cultural Capital of Kerala because of its cultural, spiritual and religious leanings towards history
Vilangan Kunnu: This hillock has been converted by the tourism department as an amusement park. While grownups relish the scenic splendor from the hill top. Children can relax and play to their hearts. Lot of people uses this place for their morning walk.
Athirappilly Falls: (63 km from Thrissur). This 80 feet high waterfall at the threshold of the Sholayar ranges is a popular picnic spot. Two amusement parks, DreamWorld and SilverStorm, are located nearby.
Vazhachal : (a short drive from Athirapilly). Close to dense forests and a part of the Chalakudy River.
Punnathur Kotta Elephant Sanctuar, 23 km from city. It is very unique in being the largest elephant park in the world with over 60 elephants.
Peechi Dam (20 km from city). It is a good picnic spot.
Chavakad Beach, 25 km. A sea shore for rare scenic beauty Acknowledged as one of the best beaches along the west coast.
Kerala Kalamandalam, (30 km). It is in Cheruthuruthy and was founded by the Poet Sri. Vallathol Narayana Menon,to encourage the study of the ancient arts of Kerala such as Kathakali and Mohiniyattom.
Kallayikkunnu, (30 km away, near to Kunnamkulam, exactly 2.5 km from Kunnamkulam on Kozhikode road). This hill station is also known as narimadakkunnu. This is a beautiful place. Many newly married couples prefer this place for still and moving photography, while many film makers also prefer this place for song scenes. It’s a place of natural beauty.